Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Start of Something New

Guten Tag! 

My name is Carly and I am an American woman living and working in Germany. Among other things though, I like to cook, bake and eat.



It has to be said though: German food has something of a bad rap.

Coming from California I tend to gravitate towards light, flavorful dishes- maybe with a bit of avocado thrown in :)  In general, traditional German cuisine is stick-to-your-ribs fare, with meat and potatoes making regular appearances.

There is, however, a lighter side of German cooking. Delicate technique and complex flavor profiles have modernized rustic country cooking and now provide that quintessential German profile.

I think that one of the best ways to experience a new culture is to experience it through its food. Which is something that I plan to explore on this blog. Every week I will cook or bake a traditional German dish or pastry. Some weeks I might try and lighten the dish, I may substitute ingredients, or I could simply leave it alone. This is a learning process. For me, and hopefully for you too!

All the recipes I use will be written originally in German (I've got to stay authentic here!)  I will translate them into English for you here and perhaps teach you a thing or two about the German language, but certainly about the food!

Here's to a new adventure!  (and Spring!)




No comments:

Post a Comment